If you are planning to get pregnant then first thing you must to do is to your specialist and ask her to give you advice on the following issues:
- Fertility period timings
- Preconception Folic acid tablets of 5mg once daily.
- Confirm that is you have received the Measles vaccine in the past; if not then take it immediately.
- Preconception risk estimation after taking a detailed history about family regarding hereditary diseases or mental retardation.
- Age related risk evaluation of Down's syndrome.
- Screening for infections like HIV, HbSAg etc., for both husband and wife.Screening for hereditary diseases like Thalassemia or Haemophilia.
- Other basic tests to treat simple problems like anaemia or genital infections.
Thus with a few of these points in mind, a couple now finds it easier to plan a pregnancy with lesser risk factors or at least risk factors that can be taken care of prior to pregnancy.